Mud Spill Prevention
The effect of accidental spillages into the environment is well publicised, with specific events in recent years leading to significant impacts for organisations involved in such incidents. There has never been a better time for the offshore oil and gas industry to mitigate against unnecessary environmental damage, and the ROMAR® Packer Management System [PMS] offers clients an opportunity to avoid accidental contamination of the environment by (i) ensuring prevention at source wherever possible and (ii) mitigating the impact of unforeseeable spillages by carrying out and recording a series of executive actions.
The connection between a mobile drilling rig and the riser from the subsea BOP is known as the slip joint and this allows for natural movement/heave of the rig during operations. The means of containment of the drilling fluids within the riser is via inflatable packers at the slip joint. In the event of packer wear and/or failure being undetected, this can lead to accidental spillage into the environment. This is a scenario that all rig owners, drilling contractors and offshore Operators want to avoid at all costs because of the potential negative impact on their company from an attentive global community focussed on environmental protection. The PMS has been developed to provide constant monitoring of slip joint packers on Semi Subs and Overshot Packers on Jack-up Drilling Rigs to prevent leaks of drilling fluids into the environment. The system is designed to automatically energise the back-up packer system when the primary packer fails or begins to leak.
- Mitigates the risk of accidental spillage.
- Provides on-site event log [>1,000events].
- Full auditable register in event of system failure to provide Operator with key information.
- Automatically inflates bottom packer when top packer fails.
- Fully automated in case of power failure.
- Easy to read facia with interchangeable language instructions.
- Visual and audible electrical status alarms.
- Maintenance-friendly design and layout.
- Can operate with air or hydraulic systems – or a combination of both.
- Detailed operations manual for rig staff.
- Full 12-month system warranty provided by ROMAR®.
Full Turnkey Design and Technical Support
ROMAR® also offers a full turnkey design and technical support package comprising:
- Initial offshore site survey.
- Design and layout drawings.
- HSEQ analysis.
- Site installation, commissioning of PMS.
- PMS training and familiarisation modules for rig staff.
- System upgrades.